Kurrajong Area

This area takes its name from the kurrajong tree (Brachychiton populneus), which George Caley noted when he passed by in 1804 as ‘Currijon’ - the local Aboriginal word for the string-making fibre from the tree. Roasted kurrajong seeds are an Aboriginal food and were used by white settlers as a kind of coffee substitute.

Now ‘real’ coffee and can be found at the many cafes and restaurants in the old buildings and churches.

Other attractions include antique shops, galleries and the views from Bellbird Lookout.